Learning definitions of online learning terms was interesting. I have heard of all of these terms but have not seen the definitions pointed out before. I didn’t know that blended and hybrid online learning were different. I have always just used those terms interchangeably. Blended means a mix of face-to-face and online instruction, whereas hybrid means replacing some face-to-face with online online instruction. In an addition, I liked the 5 R’s (Decolonizing and Indigenizing online learning). The 5 R’s are respect, reciprocity, relevance, responsibility, relationships.

This video focuses on flexible classrooms and is an interesting but quick watch!

I think there are many pros to building flexibility into classroom instruction. There are pros and cons to both in-person and online learning, and so flexible teaching is great for teachers to incorporate. This idea of flexible learning brings it all back to inclusion and helping all students to have access to ways that help them learn best. Students come from different backgrounds, meaning their accessibility to technology and to getting to the school are all different. Some students often travel with their families, which means they miss a lot of in-person classes. That is why having resources online can be very helpful for students. Record your lessons, post resources online, and encourage online platforms where students can collaborate and share what has happened in class. In contrast, some students do not have access to technology, and thus rely on in-person classes to receive their education. In addition, giving students choice and using engaging and creative ways to teach is so important when incorporating flexible teaching!

How do y’all plan to be flexible teachers? Did y’all find the video above helpful? Are there any other ways to apply flexible teaching that you can think of? Let me know in the comments!